The skilled attorneys at Stern Law, PLLC, are currently taking cases involving Victoza injections. If you or a loved one received injections of Victoza and developed a thyroid or pancreatic injury, contact our office today to see if you have a claim against the manufacturer.
Victoza Use and Injuries
Victoza (liraglutide) is part of a class of drugs known as incretin mimetics. It is a glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist indicated for patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Type 2 diabetes is a disease in which a person has high levels of sugar in his or her blood, due to the pancreas not making enough of the hormone insulin to regulate blood sugar. Victoza, manufactured by Novo Nordisk A/S, is an injection that, combined with specialized diet and exercise, is supposed to help patients achieve glycemic control.
However, Victoza has been associated with several side effects. At Stern Law, we have helped clients who have the following injuries from Victoza:
- Pancreatitis – Symptoms include severe abdominal pain, back pain, nausea, and vomiting.
- Pancreatic cancer – Symptoms include abdominal pain, back pain, loss of appetite, and yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes (jaundice).
- Thyroid cancer – Symptoms include swollen lymph nodes, pain in the neck or throat, difficulty swallowing, and a visible lump on the neck.
These injuries can lead to hospitalizations, invasive treatments, surgeries and in the worst cases, death.
Victoza FDA Warnings
In March 2013, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), issued a statement saying it was evaluating new findings that suggested an increased risk of pancreatitis and pre-cancerous cellular changes (called pancreatic duct metaplasia) in patients with type 2 diabetes receiving Victoza. The FDA encouraged healthcare professionals and patients to report adverse events involving the drug to the Administration.
Two years later, the FDA sent communication to Novo Nordisk suggesting that it add a warning to its drug label concerning use of Victoza and the potential for thyroid cancer. Novo Nordisk subsequently placed a “Black Box Warning,” the strongest drug warning, on its Victoza label stating that liraglutide causes thyroid C-cell tumors.
Hundreds of lawsuits have been filed alleging that Novo Nordisk did not conduct adequate testing on Victoza and did not provide adequate warnings to patients and their doctors regarding the risks associated with Victoza. The suits also allege that Novo Nordisk sold Victoza in an unreasonable dangerous, or defective, condition. Because of the number of Victoza lawsuits, the cases have been centralized in one court in the Southern District of California in what is called a Multidistrict Litigation (MDL). The MDL court oversees all the cases to ensure uniformity of decision in all pretrial matters. This court also presides over the first trials, called “bellwether” trials.
We understand filing a product claim like this can sound daunting, but at Stern Law, we make the process as smooth as possible for our clients. We are drug litigation attorneys with 30 years of experience taking on the biggest pharmaceutical corporations to hold them accountable. Though based in Michigan, our firm takes cases nationwide. We have a wide network of accomplished trial lawyers, and the nature of a mass tort litigation like Victoza allows us to file and prosecute claims all across the country. When you hire our firm, one of our skilled product liability lawyers will immediately begin preparing your case by:
- Obtaining a detailed account of your Victoza prescription history and the injuries you suffered while taking the drug;
- Ordering pharmacy records showing that you took brand-name Victoza (which we call establishing “proof of use”);
- Ordering records documenting the treatment you received related to your Victoza injuries;
- Identifying the governing statute of limitations for your claim (the state-determined time during which you must file your lawsuit);
- Consulting with medical experts and industry experts to obtain support for your claim;
- Determining where your case should be filed (whether in Multidistrict Litigation or elsewhere);
- Drafting and preparing a petition for filing.
When you work with Stern Law, you can rest easier knowing your claim is in the hands of seasoned professionals who value their clients. We pride ourselves on maintaining excellent client communication. At our firm, you are not just a file number; you are a person with a story and real injuries, who needs a timely claim resolution.
Contact Stern Law, PLLC
The attorneys at Stern Law, PLLC are dedicated to fighting for victims of drug product injuries, and we work diligently to bring our clients the justice they deserve. If you or a loved one received injections of Victoza and suffered a related injury, contact Stern Law, PLLC, today at (844) 808-7529, and schedule your free consultation with one of our compassionate lawyers.