Mesothelioma is an aggressive type of cancer that attacks the thin membranes (mesothelium) which surround the lungs, (pleural mesothelioma) the abdominal organs (peritoneal mesothelioma), and the heart (pericardial mesothelioma). Asbestos is the only known cause of this type of cancer. Mesothelioma is difficult to treat with traditional and emerging methodologies, including chemotherapy, radiation, palliative drugs and genetic therapy. Often these methodologies cause their own pain and discomfort beyond the disease itself. To assist with pain management, patients often turn to alternative therapies.
Alternative Therapies Are Intended To Supplement Mainstream Medicine
Alternative therapies are widely used by health care providers to supplement conventional and conventional mainstream medical care. Commonly known as complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), “complementary” therapies are used in combination with mainstream medicine, while “alternative” therapies are used in place of mainstream medicine.
Types of Alternative Therapies.
Alternative treatments that may benefit individuals who suffer from mesothelioma include:
- Herbs And Supplements- These include mistletoe, cat’s claw and cannabis, all of which help relieve side effects of chemotherapy and radiation.
- Diet And Exercise. Neither eating a certain diet nor following a certain exercise regimen cures cancer, but both help the patient feel better, cope with the side effects of other treatments, and enjoy a better quality of life.
- Mind-Body Therapies-Sometimes called biofeedback therapies, mind-body therapies include yoga, meditation, tai chi, and other practices designed to promote relaxation and help relieve pain, stress and anxiety.
- Body Therapies-Acupuncture and acupressure are among various forms of this therapy that can relieve pain, vomiting, fatigue, and other side effects of traditional medicine. Chiropractors frequently use a more modern form of body therapy, a TENS machine to provide electrical nerve stimulation to a particular site to help manager pain.
- Aromatherapy–Aromatherapy uses aromatic oils, plants, and other substances to conjunction with massages and or baths to promote relaxation and alleviate anxiety.
- Craniosacral Therapy And Massage-Craniosacral therapy, a process of light touches on the bones of the skull, spine, and pelvis, releases tension and improves body movement.
- Emotional Therapies-Counseling, psychotherapy, and other traditional types of emotional therapies (art, music, animal sharing) help patients cope with the emotional effects of living with mesothelioma, going through treatment, and being given a limited life-expectancy.
Are Alternative Therapies Effective?
Although researchers cannot confirm that any of CAM therapies have any curative effect on this virulent form of cancer, they have found that many alleviate the discomfort and pain associated with this disease to some extent, especially in its later stages; some may even extend life expectancy. In any event, patients should always consult with their treating physician to discuss any form of CAM therapy being considering, as some are too rigorous and some have unintended side effects.
Stern Law, PLLC – Our Lawyers Are Compassionate, Dedicated & Skilled Advocates
At Stern Law, PLLC, we know how a mesothelioma diagnosis can uproot your life, and as such, we want to help you secure you and your family’s current and financial future. When you meet with one of our seasoned asbestos exposure lawyers, we take the time you deserve to review your case, determine the sources of your exposure, assist you and your medical team assess the benefits of alternative therapies, and develop a plan of legal action to fight for the compensation you need. Contact Stern Law, PLLC today at (844) 808-7529 to schedule your free consultation. We are available now to review your case.