Mesothelioma is a rare, aggressive form of cancer that attacks the very thin protective tissues which surround the lungs, abdominal organs and heart. Mesotheliomas constitute only 0.3 percent of all diagnosed cancers. Very few doctors appreciate its intricacies or have the training and experience necessary to effectively treat it. One of your most important tasks after being diagnosed is to find the right doctor you can trust completely with your care during this demanding time of your life, one who is on the cutting edge of researching and treating a very complex disease. The right specialist can make a world of difference.
At Stern Law, PLLC, we understand how difficult a mesothelioma diagnosis can be for you and your loved ones, and, as such, we want to help. To schedule your free consultation, contact us at (844) 808-7529 to learn more about your legal rights and options. You may be entitled to significant compensation. We are ready to help make a difference for you, so don’t wait – pick up the phone and call us now.
The Initial Referral
More often than not, the doctor who gives you the bad news that you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma is not the doctor who will ultimately provide your treatment during the course of your disease. If you live relatively close to a major hospital, you will likely be referred an oncologist (cancer specialist) having experience with mesothelioma. Even so, the final choice of a treating specialist is yours, and there are steps you can take to facilitate that decision.
Evaluating Each Potential Treating Specialist’s History and Credentials
Before you settle on any specialist, you need to assure yourself that he has the training and experience you may need. You can go on the internet and research basic information on any specialist to whom you have been referred as well as other recognized mesothelioma specialists. You can also ask the specialist to whom you have been referred for other names of qualified specialists. You should be prepared to ask any mesothelioma specialist that you see certain critical questions about his practice, including:
- What is his history with treating mesothelioma patients?
- Is he associated with a hospital or other facility with a top-rate reputation for treating mesothelioma patients?
- When was the last time he cared for a mesothelioma patient?
- Is he current on the latest research and published studies on the type of mesothelioma you have?
- What other physicians or medical facilities does he recognize as being on the forefront of mesothelioma care and treatment?
- What types of treatment does he usually recommend?
- Is he willing to try newer or cutting-edge treatments if you qualify?
- If appropriate, will the help you enroll a clinical trial?
- Will he let you try alternative therapies for pain and anxiety?
- Are his fees reasonable?
- Will he work with my insurance (or other forms of payment)?
Evaluating Your Potential Interpersonal Relationship With Any Treating Specialist
You should also satisfy yourself about how any specialist assesses your specific condition and envisions treating it, including:
- What type of mesothelioma do I have?
- Is my cancer localized or has it spread to other organs in the body?
- What is the current stage of my mesothelioma and what, if any, limitations might that pose for my treatment?
- Is there a treatment protocol that he is likely to recommend?
- How effective does he believe each form of treatment will be and what, if any, risks do they pose?
Time is of the essence in initiating your course of treatment after diagnosis. You need to act quickly on settling on a treating specialist so that he can initiate and carry out a treatment plan to help you cope with this aggressive cancer.
Have You Been Diagnosed with Mesothelioma? Contact Stern Law, PLLC Today
At Stern Law, PLLC, we understand the complexities associated with a mesothelioma diagnosis, and want to help. We take the time you need to review your case, determine the sources of your exposure, and develop a plan of action to fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact Stern Law, PLLC today at (844) 808-7529 to schedule your free consultation with one of our seasoned mesothelioma attorneys.