Undoubtedly, mesothelioma can be a discouraging and frightening diagnosis, leading to a significant amount of fear and uncertainty as to where to turn next. At Stern Law, PLLC, we understand how challenging a mesothelioma diagnosis can be for an individual and his or her family, and as such, we want to help. Our team of asbestos exposure attorneys measures their success by our clients’ satisfaction, and we don’t recover unless you recover. We fight hard for our clients’ legal rights, and are proud of our track record of recovering millions of dollars for these much deserving victims.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma or died due to the disease, call us right away. While you did not deserve to get mesothelioma, you do deserve to be justly compensated for your pain and suffering in addition to the costs of your treatment and other expenses. Contact us now at (844) 808-7529 to schedule your free consultation with one of our seasoned and compassionate mesothelioma lawyers.
While zealous litigation is sometimes pursued against asbestos manufacturers and certain employers due to cancer-causing exposure, most mesothelioma claims are settled out of court. Settlements are amounts agreed upon by both parties that, if acceptable to the recipient,avoids the need to go to trial. Due to the variability of awards and uncertainty that trials present, settlements are a surefire way to receive compensation for your asbestos-related injuries.While the total settlement award amount varies depending upon a number of factors, there are a few reasons why settlements are often preferred:
- You receive a guaranteed award – the primary benefit of settling is to receive a certain monetary award for your injuries. Oftentimes, pursuing litigation can be risky due to the fact that the outcome is contingent upon the judge and jury, whose opinions may be biased or swayed.
- Settlements are private – information about a trial becomes public, and whether you win or lose, it is reported on the court’s docket. This may be unsettling to mesothelioma victims, especially if they are awarded a large sum. Settlements allow for victims to keep their compensation and other details private.
- You avoid a protracted and expensive trial–trials can move slowly, and unfortunately, time is not a resource for many mesothelioma victims. Accepting a settlement offer, if just, expedites the payout process, and also avoids the costs associated with going to trial, which can be extensive.
How are Settlement Amounts Determined?
The amount of money that an individual receives depends upon a number of different factors addressed during the negotiation process. Each settlement is different and some factors may have more weight than others. Some of the most critical factors include:
- Medical expenses for treatment
- Lost income/wages
- Pain and suffering
- One’s asbestos exposure history
- The specific diagnosis
- The amount of debt accumulated from lost income/wages
What are the Most Recent Settlement Amounts?
In the United States, approximately $30 billion has been set aside to help mesothelioma victims cover their medical expenses, lost wages, living expenses, and pain and suffering. While each settlement depends upon the facts of each case, the following are a list of some of the more substantial settlement awards given to asbestos-related injury victims:
- $43 Million – A Montana judge approved a $43 million settlement for more than 1,300 miners and their families.
- $10 Million – a Missouri judge approved a $10 million award to a Missouri woman who was exposed to asbestos during the renovation of her workplace.
- $5.5 Million – a veteran of the U.S. Navy, and former auto mechanic and demolition laborer, received a $5.5million dollar settlement due to being diagnosed with mesothelioma back in 2009.
- $2.1 Million – the family of a New Jersey construction worker received $2.1 million after succumbing to mesothelioma.
- $2 Million – in New York, a building maintenance worker was awarded a $2 million settlement after being diagnosed with mesothelioma.
While settling can be a quick and easy way to receive compensation, it is critical that you contact an attorney to help you fight for a fair and just amount. Sometimes, an initial settlement offer is not appropriate, and requires the assistance of a seasoned attorney to help you fight for what you deserve. To learn more, contact Stern Law, PLLC for the legal representation you need.
Stern Law, PLLC – We’re Compassionate, Dedicated & Skilled Mesothelioma Attorneys
At Stern Law, PLLC, we understand the complexities associated with a mesothelioma diagnosis, and want to help. When you meet with one of our seasoned mesothelioma lawyers, we take the time you need to review your case, determine the sources of your exposure, and develop a plan of legal action to fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact Stern Law, PLLC today at (844) 808-7529 to schedule your free consultation. We look forward to making a difference for you.