What to Do If You Suspect Abuse
Abuse is a crime. Everyone who witnesses abuse is obligated under the law to report the crime. Reasons why suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation should be reported:
- Victimization of elders is illegal
- To protect the elder’s rights
- To prevent further abuse of the victim or other seniors
- To bring perpetrators to justice
- To provide compensation to those victimized
- In the case of death, to provide compensation to those affected by elder abuse
How to Report Elder Abuse
- For serious, threatening, or dangerous abuse, call 911 or the local police for immediate assistance.
- Call Adult Protective Service agency to file a complaint. To locate the APS agency near you, call toll-free 1-800-677-1116. This number is available from Monday through Friday 9 AM-8 PM (except U.S. federal holidays). Or, visit http://www.ncea.aoa.gov/NCEAroot/Main_Site/Find_Help/Help_Hotline.aspx for an agency near you.